Would you like to spend your summer working at a mystical and peaceful lodge? Stehekin Valley’s, picturesque lake and breathtaking mountains truly have a magical effect.
You will feel right at home in our tight knit family of employees and it is sure to be a summer you will never forget. Apply below!
The North Cascades Lodge Executive Chef manages all aspects of the culinary operations at Stehekin, primarily the Lodge dining room which is open all three meal periods. Very casual breakfast & lunch with upscale casual dining in the evening. You will be expected to maintain a consistently high standard of cleanliness and food excellence producing nutritious, safe, wholesome, eye appealing, delicious food while meeting food cost expectations. Supervise cooks, and utility staff to ensure tasks are completed in safe and efficient manner.
The Executive Chef is responsible for managing the daily production, preparation and presentation of all food in the unit. The Executive Chef must help the General Manager supervise and carry out day-to-day operations in the unit. The Executive Chef must also provide supervision, direction and training to all employees within the kitchen; achieve operating and financial goals; ensure food quality; and meet client objectives and/or customer needs.
- Monitor, problem solve, and direct workers to ensure efficient and safe completion of all culinary tasks daily. Work the line and prep when and as needed
- Train and on-board new staff on safety and procedures including recipes and plate presentation
- Purchase and inventory all food & Beverage related products and supplies
- Sample, smell, and observe food to ensure conformance to recipes and taste and appearance standards
- Communicate regularly and professionally with numerous people including general manager, dining room staff, warehouse manager, and laundry staff to ensure efficient operation of food operations
- Ensure that each food operation adheres to food safety guidelines including ServSafe and HACCP
- Attend and participate in management and safety meetings; conduct regular department meetings
- Under guidance of each property’s General Manager, participate in and give working direction for pre and post season setup / teardown
- Manage staff appropriately to enforce standards and minimize personnel conflicts
- Ensure department records such as schedules, payroll, food safety logs, inspection logs, and receiving invoices are completed accurately and timely
- Performs such other related duties as directed or required
SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE
- High School Diploma/G.E.D. equivalent required; Culinary school diploma strongly preferred
- Five years culinary experience in full-service restaurant required; national park experience strongly preferred
- Moderate computer knowledge and ability including Microsoft Windows, Outlook, Word, Excel, POS system
- Possess strong knowledge of culinary terms and practices; able to prepare items “from scratch” and create recipes
- Strong supervision and management skills required, including the ability to guide and develop others
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- Move about to accomplish tasks, particularly frequent movements from place to place within the unit.Bend, lift, carry, reach/extend arms and hands above shoulder height frequently; move in a constantly changing environment
- Lift, carry, and push up to 10 lbs. regularly, 15-20 lbs. frequently, and up to 30 lbs. occasionally
- Able to stand for extended periods
- Climb steps regularly
- Speech recognition and clarity, including the ability to understand the speech of co-workers and the ability to speak clearly to be understood by same in English
- Physical presence at the job site is essential to perform job duties
- Typical professional kitchen equipment (knife, range, oven, mixer, etc.)
- Typical office equipment (computer, phone system, fax, copier, scanner, among others.)
- Required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) used: gloves, goggles, cut glove, steel mesh glove, mitts
Accessible only by boat, plane or hiking trails, the North Cascades Lodge at Stehekin is a laid-back remote little place on the shores of Lake Chelan within the North Cascades National Park. Stehekin has about 75 permanent residents, though its population swells during the summer. The passenger ferry runs daily from Chelan and Fields Point during the summer months and less often through the winter. Stehekin is very close to the Pacific Crest Trail. While there is no road access to Stehekin, there is roughly 22 miles of existing road and shuttle bus service is available. A few cars and old trucks are around, barged in over the years. Trout and sockeye salmon are popular targets for fishing in Lake Chelan and if you are into hiking, extreme or mild you will love it here. Bicycles are available for hire and are easily transported up on the ferry as well. You will feel right at home in our tight knit little family of employees and it will be a summer you’ll never forget
Veterans, Minorities, People with Disabilities and Women especially encouraged to apply.
Guest Services, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.